Thursday, August 28, 2008
And ate good food... Surprisingly, or not... those are all the pics I have from our last weekend away. Except for one of Mr. Man mid-sneeze. I think the Slurpee pic is just so... "us". One slurpee (my favorite drink)... purchased after midnight (because they test better after midnight)... two straws.
Monday, August 18, 2008
Everytime we go to Nordstroms, Mr. Boy wants to try on the Nikes. He loves them, and begs for me to buy them. He hobbles around in them trying to convince me, "They're not too tight, I promise, it's just a little pinch, no big deal." Here is a pic from a previous attempt to get me to believe they don't hurt. When we take off the Nikes, his feet have red pinch marks and his audible sigh as we untie them, means No Nikes. So, he's worn Crocs and Flip Flops since he was two, with an occasional pair of Vans that are 3 sizes to big to accommodate his little cubes.
When we arrived at the shoe department on Friday, we were informed that Nikes had just come out with a Wide Tennis Shoe.Here is Nina, our favorite shoelady at Nordstroms South Coast measuring Mr. Boy.I took this pic while holding my breath, hoping these will fit. Seriously, I have nightmares where the kid is wearing a Tux with Crocs to his prom. Also, random side note, this kid has only worn red shirts for the last two weeks.Hooray, they fit! He refuses to take them off so we check his feet. He knows that is where the dealbreaker always is. However, because Nina is fabulous she gets him to take the shoes off for 2 seconds, no pinch marks!! He insists on wearing them out of the store, which was my favorite part as a kid. I feign having trouble keeping up with him because he is just too darn fast with his new shoes. And like all our outings to Nordstroms we end it with a carousel ride....
Kid friendly outing... Yes?
Wednesday, August 13, 2008
- 13 years ago we met and talked until the sun rose the following morning. We quickly fell in love, got married, moved to a teeny tiny house on the 134 fwy in Los Angeles
- 12 years ago, we brought home a sweet little labrador puppy who we named Sandy who became my study partner while I was going to school and Mr. Man was working in Human Resources.
- 11 years ago, Mr. Man moved into Information Technology and we solidified our nerdiness by attending the X-files convention.
- 10 years ago, Mr. Man applied for Graduate School to UCI's MBA program at the very last minute. He got in and we moved into a darling duplex by the beach.
- 9 years ago, we were both knee deep in school and I met the Ya Ya's. We were also busy trying to be recruited by different employers. Those "wining and dining" dinners were an essential part to living within our lean budget. We decided to add another dog and Skoopix joined the family.
- 8 years ago, we both graduated from college, got fancy jobs and bought a house.
- 7 years ago, we spent the year working and enjoying our lives as "young professionals" Mr. Man joined the Entertainment group at work and thus began his glamorous "LA Life in the Biz"
- 6 years ago, Mr. Man's dad was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease). After years of patiently & silently wishing & hoping, Mr. Man got his wish and we started the adoption process.
- 5 years ago, we joyfully welcomed Mr. Boy into our life. Wendy sits in awe as she watches Mr. Man turn into Mr. Greatest-Father-On-The-Planet. Wendy decides after much contemplation and heartache to leave the fancy firm and opens her own "little accounting practice".
- 4 years ago, we decided to adopt again and put in our papers. We spend more time in LA to help care for Mr. Man's ailing father.
- 3 years ago, we lost Mr. Man's father to ALS. We spent a lot of time with birthparents who had chosen us. Wendy does not believe this baby will arrive in our home, while Mr. Man keeps telling her to "Have a little faith...". Wendy has an idea for a stroller import company and Eurostroller is born. Besides parenting, it is the funnest project we ever did together. Meanwhile, the baby arrives several weeks prior to her due date and Wendy is instantly smitten by this tiny little girl, calls her AK, and buys 3000 pairs of baby girl shoes. She cannot believe she ever doubted the destiny of her daughter. AK arrives home on our 10th wedding Anniversary and contracts a dangerous virus 6 weeks into her life. At the same time Mr. Boy is diagnosed and struggles with severe asthma. It was a hard year.
- 2 years ago, everyone is moderately healthy by midyear, Mr. Boy responds well to preventative asthma treatment and AK's faces new medical challenges that are manageable. Wendy decides to take the "little accounting practice" a little farther, make it a little bit bigger and closes Eurostroller. Mr. Man decides he is the caucasian version of Kobe Bryant and spends his spare time playing and watching basketball. He is still living a fabulous LA life.
- 1 year ago, the family endured a year of Wendy's medical treatment for a medical oddity that was thought to be cancerous off and on 4 times during the year. Mr. Man sits by her side at the hospital reminding her to keep breathing as she recovers from major surgery. She contracts a lung infection in the hospital that takes 3 more months to heal from. The kids grow and thrive and Mr. Boy has his best year at school yet. We start talking of moving so we can join Mr. Man in his fabulous LA life.
*Format totally stolen from another blog.... but it is sheer genius *
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
2. What is your favorite food? Ice Cream
3. What high school did you attend? San Marcos
4. What is your favorite color? Blue
5. Who is your celebrity crush? Pierce Brosnan
6. Favorite drink? Pina Colada(thought this pic was out of place)
7. Dream vacation? France... uh.. Duh.
8. Favorite dessert? Strawberry Shake
9. What do you want to be when you grow up? Happy
10. What do you love most in life? ahem.. shoes, but really it is my family
11. One word to describe you? Fabulous
12. Your nickname? Once again, I don't really have one. I've desperately always wanted one, I've tried to start them, and no one indulges me. Steph created the nickname Pee Pee for me when I begged her to give me a nickname, but I think there has got to be a better one out there for me. I'm open to suggestions that don't involve bodily functions....
*Instructions for this tag and how to make a mosiac are on Cinnamon's Blog
Saturday, August 09, 2008
This year you have discovered the joys of pretending to be a Princess. You love to watch movies about Princesses, read about them, dress up and meet them. Often people have told you, "Oh what a pretty princess you are!" and you will always correct them. "I'm not a princess, I'm AK". You have a strong sense of self and take ever opportunity to assert yourself. You will fight to get your way and are willing to take on whoever dares get in the way. You are also very girly, but also have a strong tomboy streak. You have a fascination for "didosaurs" aka dinosaurs and love to play with cars. We love your well rounded personality. For your birthday you requested at first a Princess Party, which quickly morphed into a "Dinosaur Princess Waterslide Party with Nachos". It is the perfect event for your birthday, it embraces the sweet girly, the fiercely independent personality and your fearless nature. This year you've becoming increasingly more social. We've thought that as a second child you would love one on one attention, however it has become more obvious that you want to play with more people your own age. You attended summer camps these past few weeks and I have NEVER seen you more happy than when you are playing in a group of people your own age.
I have watched with joy and horror as you imitate me as a mother. You aren't discriminating and imitate my good and bad behavior. I have learned not to curse or make gestures while driving this year as I caught you imitating me in the rearview mirror. I have also watched you with Baby Roller Hand and seen my moves and words imitated. It has made me a better mom, because I am much more aware of my actions. Also, this year, your language has grown by leaps and bounds. You went from uttering the phrase "Mine" to complete sentences. Last year you acquired Pink Cowboy boots because you rarely talked and pointed at them and said, "Mine". Also, our favorite phrase you said earlier this year was "Here bop!" instead of "Here you go". Your dad simply cannot get enough of hearing you utter the words "Dee-Do" instead of Thank you.
Thursday, August 07, 2008
When Mr. Boy attended his first "chapel time" at this school, we came home and put on a movie. When I turned it on for him, he threw his hands up in the air and said, "Praise Jesus!" He did it for everything all week. I learned that he was told to give Praise everytime something good happened to him. He praised his lunch, a movie, his toys, the animals at the zoo for being awake. It eventually died down and went away. It was endearing to realize all the small miracles he gave thanks for during the day.
Monday, August 04, 2008
In case you've been wondering what the superheros have been up to....
Mr. Boy has been having his superheros join forces with the Disney Princesses. I didn't think Superman was into Blondes.
We hit Disneyland one afternoon to see the parade, and were surprised to find the Princesses at the front gate at the park. Here AK is telling Sleeping Beauty how glad she is that she is awake and well.
And AK asked Belle if she still loved the Beast...
This picture is titled, "Sugar Coma"
We spent the weekend with our cousins and new friends. All three of the girls had Disney Princess Pajamas. These folks at Disney are the REAL reason for the downturn in the economy. They are bleeding us parents, grandparents, aunties & uncles dry with all the overpriced Princess & other Disney merchandise, forcing us to foreclose on our homes and file for bankruptcy..... I'm convinced they are the reason behind gas prices too... however I can't prove it. Of course, ahem... since Disney Execs read this I should put a disclaimer... I could be completely wrong, and must say there is NOTHING better in the world than a little girl who wants to be a Disney Princess and a little boy who is obsessed with CARS. Ahem, especially when those Disney Execs magically come up with some free products.