Thursday, October 02, 2014

Five Things for Friday

1.  The first weekend of October, we always attend the same event.  Without fail,  the last ten years it has  been blistering hot.  Every year I am baffled and exclaim, "This weather is crazy, it's October!"  Last year, I actually made a reoccurring item on my calendar warning me this is normal weather.  Guess What?  It's going to be triple digit temperatures this weekend and this year it's not taking me by surprise.  I feel like a genius for doing this, until I remember that I should probably have a good enough memory that I don't have to make notes to my future self in my calendar.

2.  Two weeks ago everything seem to break.  My car window, the transmission relay switch (is that a real thing or did my mechanic make that up?), the water heater, Mr. Man's tooth, the pool pump... in a matter of days we had shelled out a ton of cash for things no one would notice.  That makes me crazy, so I bought myself a wallet.  I call it my $5,000 wallet, because it's the only thing I have to show for all the money we spent.  I think it's one of the best moves I've made to date.  

3.  It's Breast Cancer Awareness Month and I love that my kids have joined me in wearing something pink each day in memory of my mom.   I miss her and I especially miss how she was always in my corner.  I hope my kids know that I will always be in their corner.

4.  It's the first Fall Season that we haven't spent our evenings and Saturdays on a sports field.   It's weird to have such an open schedule but secretly I am loving it. We are spending a lot of time together playing games, watching movies, and swimming.  It's been a pleasant side effect of Mr. Boys health challenges.

5.  This was our One and Only Ivan summer, where we spent the summer reading this book as our "read aloud book".   We miss the characters like they were our friends and found ourselves savoring the last chapters, not wanting the book to end.  It's a definite must read for this year.

No comments: