Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I don't want to forget days like this...

Today, we came home from school, threw open the doors and the windows. We drank soda (a special treat) and ate apples on the deck. We laid in the grass, watching and talking about the wild parrots that had gathered on our neighbors tree, well over 100 of them. Then we painted the afternoon away, creating our own masterpieces. Later that night, they both had long baths. AK thinks she is a mermaid and loves to lounge in the water, pretending her long legs are a flipper. Mr. Boy loves to use his bath crayons and draw elaborate scenes of pirates and knights. When it was time to put on jammies, I put my hands on those deliciously round toddler bellies and gave them a good zerbert. Tucked them into bed singing to each of them their "song". You are my sunshine for Mr. Boy and for AK, Hush Child and Somewhere over the Rainbow.

I walked out of the room and remembered a quote by author Anna Quindlen

"...but the biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make while doing this. I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of the three on them sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages 6, 4, and 1. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in a hurry to get on to the next things: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less...."

Today was more about the doing, getting it done a little less... and you know what? The world didn't fall apart.

7 comments:

stacy said...

I applaud you my self proclaimed controlling planning friend. You inspire me. See my blog soon.

Tammy said...

oh i should have, i should have, i should have! thanks for the great post and reminder...it's not too late yet!

Brooke said...

Whoa...it's karma that we are friends because I actually have that EXACT QUOTE written in my journal....CRAZY! Sounds like a beautiful, perfect day.

Raena Johnson said...

Thanks - needed that reminder. What a fun day for your kids and you to alway remember!

Mary said...

Thanks for the reminder to embrace all those little moments. Sounds like you had a great day!

Cimblog (tm) said...

Nice!

Jenny said...

I've hear those same parrots come to my neighborhood but I've yet to see them. You've inspired me to lay out on the lawn with the kids once the rain dries up! Sounds like fun.