Friday, March 02, 2012

Missing those who have gone before us...

 
Last night while I was sleeping, I had a dream and heard my mom's voice.  The desire to see her was so strong that I sat up in bed and called out, "Mom, wait come back!" Then I realized I had been dreaming.  It's funny how you think you are fine but then have these moments where you miss your loved one so intensely.  

But this last week, I am missing my Mr. Man's Dad, my Father in Law.  He was an accountant like me, and while I spend my days wading through tax returns, I think of him.  He passed away seven years ago this month from ALS (aka Lou Gehrig's Disease). More than anything, I miss his fatherly guidance and wisdom.  He was the wisest man I've ever met and right now I wish I could sit down one more time with him. 

Mr. Man was my age when he lost his dad, and I truly couldn't comprehend the loss that he felt, but now I do. Even better, he understands the loss I feel, which I guess if these are life events you have to go through, it's nice to have someone who understands. 

3 comments:

Staci said...

It can be so hard, can't it? I've been dreaming about my mom who died 3 years ago this May and my dad and brother who both passed in 1993, less than one month apart.

Anonymous said...

Yes it can be very weird to be going along thinking your doing so well then BAM! that deep longing ache hits you out of nowhere..and it is so very important to have someone that understands that,( I have two people in our church small group that have recently lost a parent, one a Dad & the other a Mom)I have been trying to be a person that "understands" to them.. it can make all the difference! Blessings, Deb

Traylor Family said...

Just kinda of browsing real quick and stopped on this one. Perfect considering our texts last night. Gosh dang it's so crappy that good parents have to die young. But it's so nice having their spiritual guidance from the other side.