Wednesday, February 04, 2015

2015 - The Year of You, The Year of Me

I'm late to the game with New Years Resolutions and themes for the year.  I have been thinking a lot about the "Yes Project" I did in 2012.
During the Yes Project,  I tried to say yes more often than no to opportunities that came my way.  The amazing thing is that I ended up doing pretty incredible things.  I repelled thirty two stories down a skyscraper, watched America's Cup in person, met Queen Latifah, and ended up writing for her  website.  It was an incredible year and I am grateful for it.


This year I keep coming back to the idea that this is the Year of Me.   It sounds incredibly selfish but it's really not.   You know when you are on a plane and they tell you in case of an emergency, put on your oxygen mask first, THEN help those around you including children.   This is my intent for the year, putting on my oxygen mask first so I can have enough oxygen to help those around me.

There are some changes I've been thinking about and there is no time like the present to tackle them.
  • I've got some emotional baggage that I'm hauling around that I need to dump.  
  •  I feel better when I'm eating more fruits and vegetables.  I also know I should be drinking more water, it's better for my skin and health.   It also might be time to bid my beloved friend Diet Coke goodbye. 
  • I love hiking and swimming but always put it at the bottom of the list in favor of tackling emails and chores.   Those pesky items can wait.... the hills and the water are beckoning me.
  • It's been about 15 years since my last routine physical and eye exam, it's probably time to get a check up.  
  • I spend way too much time reading about keeping my skin young and fresh and not enough time trying to keep my skin young and fresh.  I'm going to wear sunblock more, drink more water, and actually put on those fancy creams that adorn my vanity. 

I'm sure I'll add to the list as year goes by, but my goal is to take on a new challenge for the month.  For example this month I'm going to make all those appointments I've been putting off.   I'm going to make all my doctor's appointments and book some time with a therapists to get rid of my baggage.

What are you going to do this year during the Year of You!  I want to know and I'd love to have some friends join me as we put on our oxygen masks first.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I made an art journal for a friend in January and I've been thinking a lot about how I used to LOVE doing that sort of thing, and how long it's been since I was regularly crafty and creative. I'm going to start again! Also, need more antioxidants in the diet - I was one of those "M&M's count as colorful foods" people...