Monday, October 18, 2010

We know how to party

A long, long time ago in a galaxy far far away Mr. Boy had a birthday. Maybe it was more like midsummer. Summer birthdays are tricky, all your friends are out of town, or you are knee deep in dust adding on to your chalet. So, we moved Mr. Boy's Party to the fall and I told Mr. Boy to invite 7 of his closest friends. He invited everyone and their brother, and I'm not even kidding about the brother part. So, we wrangled 14 boys all around the age of 7 and their brothers for two hours. I have never been so fearful for my life. It was a "Lego Star Wars Party".I had a blast putting this party together, and we learned that my cool new dining table seats 14 with all the leaves pulled out. If only I actually had 14 chairs for it!Big thanks to Williams - Sonoma for the tips on how to decorate these cookies. (A little bit of their Food Paste mixed into Karo Syrup, painted on with a brush.) Don't look too closely, because they kind of look like Mr. Boy decorated them, but the party guest and their brothers loved them. Every kid got to build their own Lego Mini Set when they arrived, and that was their party favor. It worked out well to get them started on a project right away. At age 7, the boys seemed to want to tackle each other all the time, so that was main goal, to keep them busy enough they wouldn't tackle. We played lots of lego games, some bombed, some rocked. Of the ones that were a success: "Drop the lego brick from your nose into a mason jar", "Lego Shuffleboard/Bocce" (slide the lego across the floor to try and hit a target, closest one to the target wins.), "Guess the number of Legos in a jar"
Classy, real classy. "Okay kids, let's line up next to the Port-a-Potty for some fun with the Pinata!' Every year I buy these $5 indestructible pinatas from the Latino Market, but this year it broke on the second hit. They must have switched suppliers or something.
Mr. Boy really wanted a home party this year, and was so patient to wait. I loved watching him with his friends. Mr. Boy's personality exhausts me sometimes, but he is the funnest kid. He hugged each of his friends spontaneously after opening their gift. He is so eager to share his love and exuberance with everyone.... and their brother.

7 comments:

Laura said...

Those cookies look fantastic! And Mr. Boy is obviously very pleased. Great job!

Brooke said...

Looks super funl -- good job, super-mom :)

Mary said...

I am totally impressed you made those cookies. I can't decorate cookies to save my own life.

I love the porta potty pinata. Very fancy!

laura said...

that is an awesome party! love your cookies... i shoulda got those cookie cutters...

Anonymous said...

Not anon - I'm Rosie aka Gulfcoastgirl. Love the photos of the party. Enjoy it - they grow up too fast.

Staci said...

Wow! You must be the bestest mommy ever! I have never let my son have more than 6 boys at his birthday parties. You did a great job!!

Elizabeth-FlourishinProgress said...

You are a brave mama!!

I absolutely love that you had that many boys over and made it seem like it was no big deal. Looked like the boys had a blast.

Those cookies are amazing!!!

New to your blog, Looking forward to reading more.