Thursday, June 07, 2012

Kicking off the Super Ultimate Mega Summer with a luxurious BANG!

When you declare that you will embark on " The Super Ultimate Mega Summer, Part Deux" you can't just start it off with some humdrum day of laziness.  You have to start it off right, with flair, sizzle, and some mandatory relaxation.   So we packed up the Fun-mobile for a little road trip to the desert.   It was drizzling and foggy in Los Angeles, but sunny and warm just outside of Palm Springs.   I really don't understand why it takes so much gear to for one family for one weekend.  I swear Mr. Man always packs way too many shoes...
    
 
This resort is super fancy and when you drive through the gates, you can't help but feel pampered and like, "Oh yes, actually....I WOULD like a $9 ice cream sandwich!  That seems like a fair price, and you know what?  I deserve it."  
Even better than the luxurious accommodations is the chance to hang out with some of my very favorite people.   I love these kids and their parents so very much.   They are fabulous travel companions, with the exception of AK, who turns into a crazy party animal when the lights are out.   We might have to leave her at home next time. 
These boys decided that since neither of them have brothers, they should be honorary brothers.   Truthfully, sometimes it's better to have "family" that you get to pick.   
These bigger boys crack me up, as they swapped stories under a crazy romantic canopy bed.   It felt like a slumber party for the adults as we stayed up late and chatted.  
  
During the days, we walked to one of the many pools,
  
and swam,
and lounged in the poolside cabana, 
and swam some more.  Or sometimes, we'd float and read a magazine.
Mr. Relaxed Man is my favorite of all the versions of Mr. Man.  He was so relaxed, he actually read a book by the pool.  He hasn't read a book in 12 years, because he claims he hasn't had enough downtime to sit around and "just read". Excuses! Excuses! I say!  
 
Mr. Man and I were able to lounge together and talk... really talk without interruption on this trip.  I hate that our lives are such that we don't have time  make it a priority to spend quality time.   I realized on this trip, that we need to make it a priority in our lives, because goodness, he is fascinating and I really like spending time with him. 
 
We indulged in those $9 Ice Cream Sandwiches and didn't bat an eye.  My inner scrooge had been left at the gates of the resort. 
At the end of the day, we would walk back to the hacienda, tired, yet refreshed.
The kids would have movie night, while the adults relaxed.  It was the perfect way to start our summer. 
 
One evening while the dads were entertaining the kids, I slipped out for a walk.  The sun was setting and everything was so gorgeous.
While I walked past the beloved pool cabanas, I thought about our trip here last year.   I was so very broken, and still so raw with grief from my mom's death.  I was stuck in that stage where I didn't want to be left alone for fear that my grief would overcome me, and yet I kind of just wanted to be left alone.  It doesn't make sense, but grief doesn't really make sense.  I remember laughing really hard the first night on the trip and thinking, "Oh hello happy heart, come and stay for awhile."
I thought about how much things have changed in the last year, how far I've come, and how lucky I am.  Last year I had a hard time seeing past the bad and realizing I was surrounded by so much good.  My mom's cancer was awful and there were some events that were so traumatic, it shook me to my core.
 
Even though I still miss my mom and long to reverse the clock, I am so incredibly lucky. I have so many things to be grateful for.   I have been very blessed,  my life is bliss.  I returned from my walk full of gratitude, for my kids, my friends, their kids, and all the good things around me.  God has been good to me.
When the weekend came to a close, Mr. Man was relaxed, I was refreshed, and the kids were happily exhausted. 


On the way home, Mr. Boy declared in a sleepy voice, "Best Vacation Ever."  Then he drifted off into a deep sleep.
A big thank you to our faithful Cabana lady Mary, who granted every wish from our pampered kids, our hosts: The Irish Family, and the La Quinta Resort.  Vive le Ultimate Super Mega Summer, Part Deux!

2 comments:

Maxmomma said...

Sounds SO lovely!!! Perfect for kicking off summer and two families who most definitely deserve the relaxation! A year out from something can be a blessed thing-- doesn't change things, but time does seem to be a kind buffer of sorts. Love this French family!

Cimblog (tm) said...

I remember those good ol' days!