Monday, March 04, 2013

36 things for my 36th year

Last year I took on The Yes Project and I loved where it took me.   I'm still continuing with saying Yes more often than no.   This year I want to live with more purpose and deal with some things that have been nagging me.  Some of these are things that seem to swirl above me on those sleepless nights.  So for this year, I have come up with "36 Things"  to accomplish for my 36th year.  Some of them are big, some of these are boring, some are optimistic.  Here are the first 12 items on my "36 Things" list.

1. Set a Date for a Big Family Vacation
I feel the presence of this big ticking clock behind me when I look into my children's eyes.  Time is fleeting and I know that Mr. Boy will be in college before I know it.   I know that if we don't set a date, make a plan, it won't happen.  Mr. Man travels for business, not for pleasure.  For pleasure he likes to sit at the Chalet in his pajama pants and hang out with the family.   I feel like we are really good at spending quality time with the kids, but I want them to know the world is a lot bigger than our yard.  We are going to pick a destination, a date and plan a big trip for our family, including how we are going to save for it.  

2.  Run to the top of our hill
Last year during the mudrun, I was crazy unprepared for the elevation change, and as a result I was embarrassed by my inability to run up a hill.  I live on a hill! I have the perfect training course right in my backyard, so I'm setting out to run to the top without stopping. 

3. Use my ridiculous stash of gift cards I have a desk drawer full of gift cards.   I don't spend them because in my head they are "to be used for something special".  Guess what?  Right Now is a special time, and these are meant to be used.  When my kids receive a gift card, they can't wait to use it, so we set a date and time to take them to use it.  Why shouldn't I do the same thing with my gift cards?

4.  Learn to make cheese
Every year I take on a new cooking goal and it's been a fun tradition.  I have always wanted to learn how to make cheese, so this year is my year.   Specifically, Mozzarella, so I have signed up for a class, ordered my supplies and am going to dive into it. 

5.  Lose 36 pounds 
This is hard to admit, but there are 36 pounds separating me from my healthy self.   Grief has sent me to my very favorite friend for comfort named the Carbohydrate.  I know that I am happier when I am fitter and in better shape.   I have more energy and I'm really tired of feeling like this weight is holding me back from living my best life. Being thin isn't the ultimate goal, it's about feeling healthy.   I recognize, item number 4 might contradict this goal, but all things in moderation... right?
6.  Hike Weekly
One thing I have found to be just as therapeutic as writing, is hiking.   I have hiked a lot since the New Year and I love to be out enjoying nature.   I never regret the time I spend in the hills behind my house and it does wonders for my brain. 

7.  Learn to tie a Tie
This is a skill I can't believe I never learned growing up with two brothers.  As I watch Mr. Man try to teach our son, I can't help but think, "Why shouldn't I be learning this too?"

8.  Go out with my girlfriends more
I have leaned a lot on my friends in the last year, especially the Ya Ya's.   I have so many great friends locally, but when it comes time to spending time with them in the evenings, I tend to say, "No thanks."  I find myself curled on the couch with my computer in my lap because it's the easier option. I have never ever gone out with my girlfriends for a night out and not returned better than I left.   That is the magical thing about girlfriends, and why I deny myself of that gift,  is a crime.  

9.  Clean out my closet
This is tied into #5, I have a closet full of clothes, in an assortment of sizes.   They are all crammed together with the hopes of someday coming out again.  I think it's time to purge and start things fresh.  I have tried to clean it out and always said, "Well maybe one day.... " This is the year I decided that someday is now.

10.  Take my "Mom's Final Wish" Trip
My mom, *sigh* I miss her so much.  As I have struggled over the last few weeks navigating some challenges, I just think, "Dammit, I could really use my Mom's advice or encouragement."  I still feel way to young to navigate life without my mom, but I know many people feel this way no matter when they lose their mom. I took her encouragement for granted.
My mom had a final request and that was for my brothers and my dad to take her grandkids to Disneyland soon after she passed.  We haven't done it yet and it makes me feel guilty.  I know that wasn't her intent, but I can see her shaking her head in heaven and saying, "Make it happen...  there will always be a reason or excuse, that right now isn't the ideal time."  My brother and I feel strongly that we need to honor her request, so this year we will set a date and go.   
11. & 12.   Paint the Hall and Paint Mr. Boys Room
Boring, but these rooms have been on my to do list since we moved in.  The hallway has had paint swatch samples on the wall for over a year, and I feel guilty every time I walk down the hallway.   It's time to get it done so I can unpack that last box of family pictures for the hallway.   As for Mr. Boy, I have had the paint cans in the garage for a year now, it's time to use it before he decides it's time to change the theme for his room. 

3 comments:

LFP said...

I approve this message.

Brooke said...

Love this. I did this when I turned 33. Sad to say I didn't do all of them but I did a heck of a lot more than if I hadn't written them down. Kudos to you - and where are the other 24?!!

Anonymous said...

Thanκs foг sharіng your thoughts аbout
boyle. Regards

My web pаge; Demo1.Myworkdemos.Com
my web page: click through the up coming website page