Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Mum Project

**A post that I forgot about in my drafts folder from the fall, but it still applies today**
Over the last few months I have been thinking about an experience I had during the summer.  I stopped into "Tony's Deli" for some last minute dinner ingredients and he slipped a note in my bag that said, "You are a good mom."   It was a sweet gesture and I keep thinking back to that experience and how good it made me feel.  I want my friends and family to know that I am one of their biggest cheerleaders.

One day while perusing the nursery for "deer resistant" plants, I came upon these gorgeous fall mums.  Inspiration struck and I knew this would be a great thing to give to some of the great moms I know. 
We put stickers on each plant that said, "Just wanted to let you know that we think you are a great "mum" to your family."  My kids and I came up with the list of moms we wanted to surprise with the mums.  The best part of this project was doing this with my kids, they love nothing more than ding dong ditching and we have perfected our technique over the past year.  At one house, Mr. Boy was startled by a noise and pretty much threw the mum at the front door, it went splat as he jumped into the car.   

This was so easy and so simple, even better it was a great service project for my family.   Motherhood is such a hard job and there isn't a lot of people handing you a ribbon for navigating the latest tantrum.   Who knows maybe you'll get a mum thrown at your door, telling you that you are doing a good job. 

No comments: