Thursday, November 29, 2007

Hazmat suits for sale... slightly used...


Every year when the weather turns a bit cold, and runny noses start to appear around the house, I have a mini panic attack. The year AK was born, right around the first crisp chilly night she got sick.... and she didn't get better for 6 months. And during that six months, every cold she got set her back a week or two on getting over her long term ailments. I set up a Purell station by the front door, and grilled every one including the cable repairman on his health and exposure to germs. This year, the first cold has arrived, and I immediately get the panicked feeling of "oh here we go again.... "

Then Mr. Man called me on Monday sniffling and was telling me how everyone on his team was sick, and that there was 22 people all sitting in one conference room coughing and sneezing at work today. I told him to take a hot shower, scrub himself with Betadyne, and stay at a hotel for the week, because he wasn't allowed to come home until he had been quarantined and deemed noncontagious.

I'm beginning to wonder if maybe my experience with AK, might have scarred me a bit... maybe it's made me into a bit of a germophobe...

Mr. Man says it's time to put the Hazmat suits away, time to deflate the bubble that I put around the stroller when we are at the mall with the kids, and time to let them play on the playground without wearing masks and latex gloves. He's saying it's time to relax, let the kids be kids, if they decide to lie down on the floor at costco during checkout, it's time to let them lie down without going into hysterics.

Alright...Alright... Mr. Man.. you can come home now... I'm going to relax this cold and flu season. I will put away the Hazmat suits, the bubble, and the latex gloves. However... there will be NO laying on the floor at Costco. I've got to draw the line somewhere...

4 comments:

stacy said...

you did not really have a bubble.... did you?

Qwendykay said...

it's a raincover....not really a bubble. I have not actually used any sort of germ deterrant device since AK was 8 months old.
Ahem... and maybe I exaggerated for humor's sake a bit.
However, I really am working on becoming less "high strung" about everything. It just doesn't come naturally.

stacy said...

I feel better about the raincover. That's what I initially envisioned until I remembered there was a Lifetime movie about a boy in a bubble. Then I had a vision of Nathan in a bubble as a teenager and it wasn't pretty. I thought of all his exuberance being contained in some sort of "keep you healthy contraption." Then I worried that he would only be able to fall in love with the girl next door and I don't even know who your neighbors are. Then I had visions of having to suit up my daughter hazmat style before she could come visit him. Then I thougt that wouldn't be such a bad idea. Until I realized they would be alone in a bubble. THAT is a very bad idea.

I sort of have an imagination...

Anonymous said...

sits whopping johanna helpful klein poulenc bananas souter ballet cardiff kanjikode
servimundos melifermuly